NEW ONLINE HYBRID TRAINING OFFERED. Get the best of both worlds. Save time by learning at your own pace with online content. Set your skills in face to face training. In order to complete the certification, the two-day weekend training is necessary. We believe the hybrid model gives you a convenient and effective learning experience. Attorneys, the training is approved for 28 MCLE credits!
- 2017 Trainings:
- May 5th-6th in Tigard, Oregon
- June 2nd-3rd in Denver, Colorado
- September 8-9, Anchorage, Alaska
- October 13th-14th in Denver, Colorado
- November 3rd-4th in Tigard, Oregon
- Dr. Randall Kinnison and Dr. Kurt Risley offer the required 40 hours of basic mediation training several times each year required by most US states. The training is designed for those seeking to pursue a career in mediation as opposed to training for volunteer work at a dispute center. Dr. Kinnison and Dr. Risley have both taught at the undergraduate and graduate level. The training manual has proprietary material developed by Genesis Mediation. The 40 Hour Basic Mediation Training meets or exceeds the state requirements for the states of Oregon, Washington, North Dakota, Alaska, and Colorado.
The new online hybrid 40 Hour Basic Training is taught with content online and two days of face-to-face interaction. Required reading for the training: Getting to Yes by Fisher and Ury and The Anatomy of Peace by the Arbinger Institute. Basic topics covered online include:
- Definitions and Spectrum of ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution)
- Roles of a Mediator
- Principles of Interest-Based Mediation
- Definition and Sources of Conflict
- Conflict Styles
- Matrix and Testing of your own Conflict Style
- Stages of Mediation
- Factors of Resistance
- Written Agreements
- Mediation Skills
- Power in Mediation
Live training consists of role playing and discussion of content material. Students must complete the online section before they can attend the live training. If you wish to pursue a career in mediation, Advanced Training is recommended after completing the 40-Hour Basic Training. Then, specialty training in your mediation area of choice, along with mentoring and supervision. You will need to consult your state guidelines for professional mediators for specific requirements. You will find the requirements on the website of your state mediation association. Advanced training and specialty training is offered in Divorce and Family, Elder Care and Estate, Business, and Non-Profit. Dr. Kinnison also offers a one-day workshop entitled “Successful Principles of Building a Mediation Practice.” Contact us at (503) 352-9447 for more information or if you have questions about any of our trainings. Training is dependent upon sufficient registrations. Full refunds granted for canceled training within the allotted time.
I completed my 40 hr basic mediation training with Genesis Mediation and Dr. Randall Kinnison. The experience was very positive and I learned more than I expected during the training even though I have been a practicing attorney for more than 15 years. Dr. Kinnison is very accessible during the training, inviting questions and taking the time to explore the answers. The training is very hands-on, with lots of role playing and problem solving, so to ensure that the concepts are well-introduced. That was a very important part of the training and very helpful. Dr. Kinnison tries to maintain “small” group sizes so that each participant is ensured personal attention. Beyond the training, it is obvious that Dr. Kinnison has a true passion for mediation, as he makes himself available for follow-up assistance and questions. I would highly recommend Genesis Mediation for anyone who is seeking this type of training.
Attorney at Law
GRECCO DOWNS, PLLC